Flooding & Hurricane Preparedness
Devastating floods occur throughout the United States every year. 90% of all presidentially declared natural disasters involve flooding. Flooding is usually divided into two categories: flash flooding and river flooding. Both can cause death, injury and property destruction.
The following brochures and videos provide information on flood protection and hurricane preparedness. There are also links to the latest flood zone maps. Also available is a comprehensive listing of local resources that you can to turn to for the latest information regarding any storms heading our way; visit our Tropical Weather Information page.
If you have questions or are in need of further information, please contact Community Development at 772-589-5518 or the Building Department at 772-589-5537.
- Bulding Back Stronger (PDF)
- Build with Flood Damage Resistant Materials (PDF)
- Elevating Your Flood Prone House
- Fact Sheet - Flood Insurance What to Know
- Fact Sheet - After the Flood (PDF)
- After the flood - Guide Lines
- Flood Cleanup and Salvaging Safety Brochure (PDF)
- Guide for Citizens Seeking Mitigation Project Funding
- Homeowner's Guide to Retrofitting (Complete) FEMA P-312
- Notice to Owner: Substantial Improvement or Damages - The 50% Rule (PDF)
- FEMA Q&A - FEMA Application, Creating an Online Account, Sheltering in Place, Emergency Supplies, Etc.
- Florida Power and Light - Preparing Your Home and Business for the Storm, Reporting and Tracking Power Outages, What to Do After a Storm, Etc.
- Indian River County Disaster Preparedness Guide: Emergency Phone Numbers, Disaster Supplies, Emergency Shelters, and More (PDF)
- Indian River County Emergency Management
- Indian River County Evacuation Zone and Sheltering Map (PDF)